Lighthouses On The Isle Of Wight
Lighthouses on the Isle of Wight are major landmarks here on the island. It is an ideal location for lighthouse lovers to go to. Under you will notice info relating to the lighthouses on the Isle of Wight.
Set within the western approaches to the Isle of Wight, the Needles type a slim chalky peninsula which rises from jagged rocks to 120m cliffs. These rocks have all the time been a hazard to ships making their manner up the Solent to Portsmouth and Southampton Water.
In 1781 merchants and shipowners petitioned Trinity House for a lighthouse. They obtained a patent in January 1782 which directed that lights ought to be stored burning within the nightseason whereby seafaring males and mariners would possibly take discover and keep away from danger….. and ships and other vessels of warfare may safely cruise in the course of the evening season within the British Channel.
Negotiations will need to have failed because it was not till 1785 that Trinity Home erected to the designs of R. Jupp, for 30 years surveyor to the East India Company, three lighthouses at the Needles, St. Catherine’s Point and Hurst Point. The Needles tower was lighted on the twenty ninth September 1786. Because the tower was situated on high of a cliff overhanging Scratchell’s Bay, the light which was 144m above sea stage was usually obscured by sea mists and fog and was therefore of limited use to mariners.
In 1859 Trinity Home planned a new lighthouse to be constructed on the outermost of the chalk rocks near sea degree. It was designed by James Walker and cost £20,000. The circular granite tower has perpendicular sides and is 33.25m excessive, of uniform diameter with an unevenly stepped base to interrupt the waves and discourage sea sweeping up the tower. The wall varies from 1.07m in thickness on the entrance, to 0.61m at the highest. A lot of the base rock was lower away to form the muse and cellars and storehouses have been excavated within the chalk.
The light at the Needles has two white, two purple and one inexperienced sector, with one of many red sectors intensified, these are set out as follows:
Purple intensified sector shore to 300 marks the St Anthony Rocks
White sector 300 to 083 marks the stone island small mens method to the Needles Channel from the west
Red sector 083 to 212 marks the Shingles Financial institution
White sector 212 to 217 marks the course by way of the Needles Channel
Inexperienced sector 217 to 224 marks a safe channel past the Hatherwood Rocks and the Warden Ledge
A helipad was constructed on prime of the Needles Lighthouse in 1987.
The stone island small mens Needles Lighthouse was automated in 1994, the keepers left the lighthouse for the last time on 8th December. Needles was the final Trinity Home lighthouse powered by 100V DC electricity from it’s own generators; to allow the automation to be carried out mains power has been provided by way of a subsea cable from the Needles Battery, which gives 240V AC energy for the brand new tools.
The original optic with it is arrangements of inexperienced and crimson glass giving the totally different coloured sectors of mild remained after automation but a brand new three place lampchanger was installed with two 1500W 240V principal lamps and a 24V battery powered emergency lamp.
The supertyphon air pushed fog sign was changed by two Honeywell ELG 500 Hz directional fog indicators controlled by the use of a fog detector. The emitter stacks have been mounted at gallery degree exterior the helideck construction.
The Needles is monitored and managed via a cellphone telemetry link from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich, Essex.
Established : 1786
Top Of Tower: 31 Metres
Peak Of Light Above Mean Excessive Water: 24 Metres
Lamp: 1500W 240V
Optic: 2nd Order 700Mm Fastened Lens
Character: White, Crimson And Green Group Occurring Twice Every 20 Seconds (Light 14 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds, Mild 2 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds)
Depth: Crimson (Intensified) three,950 Candela, White 12,300 Candela, Crimson 1,800 Candela, Green 2,680 Candela
Vary Of Gentle: Red (Intensified) 17 Sea Miles, White 17 Sea Miles, Purple 14 Sea Miles, Inexperienced 14 Sea Miles
Fog Signal Character: Sounding Twice Every 30 Seconds
ST CATHERINE’S LIGHTHOUSE
St Catherine’s Lighthouse is situated at Niton Undercliffe, 5 miles from Ventnor on the Isle of Wight and includes a white octagonal tower with ninety four steps as much as the lantern. The principle mild, seen for as much as 30 nautical miles in clear weather is the third most highly effective gentle within the Trinity Home Service giving a guide to transport in the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.
There is a hard and fast pink subsidiary gentle displayed from a window 7 metres under the main gentle and shown westward over the Atherfield Ledge. It’s seen for 17 miles in clear weather, and was first exhibited in 1904. Both lights are electric, and standby battery lights are supplied in case of a energy failure.
A small gentle was first arrange at St. Catherine’s in about 1323 by Walter de Godyton. He erected a chapel and added an endowment for a priest to say Lots for his family and to exhibit lights at night to warn ships from approaching too close to this harmful coast, both purposes being fulfilled till about 1530 when the Reformation swept away the endowment. Neither the present lighthouse tower lighted in March 1840, nor the chapel of which the ruins stay, held these ancient lights. The present tower was constructed in 1838 following the loss of the sailing ship CLARENDON on rocks close to the location of the current lighthouse. The lighthouse was built of ashlar stone with dressed quoins and was carried up from a base plinth as a three tier octagon, diminishing by levels. The elevation of the sunshine proved to be too excessive, because the lantern continuously turned mist capped and in 1875 it was decided to decrease the sunshine thirteen metres by taking about 6 metres out of the uppermost part of the tower and about 7 metres out of the middle tier, which destroyed its beauty and made it seem dwarfed.
At the moment the fog sign home was situated close to the edge of the cliff but owing to erosion and cliff settlements the constructing developed such serious cracks that in 1932 it turned vital to search out a brand new place for the fog signal, which was finally mounted on a lower tower annexed to the entrance of the lighthouse tower, and constructed as a small replica. The resultant effect has been to give a well proportioned step down between the 2 towers which are actually expressively referred to by the native inhabitants as “The Cow and the Calf”. The fog signal was discontinued in 1987.
A tragic incident passed off at the station during the Second World War. On the 1st June 1943 a bombing raid destroyed the engine house killing the three keepers on obligation who had taken shelter within the building. R.T. Grenfell, C. Tomkins and W.E. Jones had been buried in the local cemetery at Niton village and a plaque in remembrance of them is displayed on the ground ground of the primary tower.
St Catherines Lighthouse was automated in 1997 with the keepers leaving the lighthouse on 30 July.
The lighthouse had been a weather reporting station for the Meteorological Workplace for some years;the keepers made hourly studies which included the temperature, humidity, cloud top and formation and wind course and drive. Following demanning of the lighthouse an automated weather reporting station was installed which sends particulars of the weather situations to the Met. Office.
The lighthouse itself is now monitored and managed from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Top Of Tower: 27 Metres
Peak Of Light Above Mean High Water: 41 Metres
Automated: 30 July 1997
Lamp: 2 X four hundred W Mbi Lamp
Optic: 2nd Order 4 Panel Catadioptric
Character: One White Flash Every 5 Seconds
Intensity: 927,000 Candela
Range Of Gentle: 26 Sea Miles
EGYPT Level (This gentle will not be operational)
Picture: Steven Winter
Tower Height: 25 ft.
Description of Tower: Crimson publish with white lantern, on spherical white base.
Date Established: 1897
Date Present Tower Constructed: 1897
Date Deactivated: 1989
THE NAB TOWER
This curious wanting object a couple of miles to the South East of Bembridge started life during the first World Battle as part of an anti-submarine defence system. During 1916 the British Admiralty, alarmed by the losses of allied merchant shipping to German U-boats designed 4 or six towers that had been to be constructed and positioned in the Straits of Dover. They can be linked along with steel nets and armed with two four” guns. Nevertheless when the Armistice was signed in 1918 solely one of many deliberate towers was wherever near completion. The others were dismantled, however what was to be accomplished with this ninety two foot tall metallic cylinder (costing a million pounds sterling, in these days), sitting on its raft of concrete
Till the tip of the first World Conflict the harmful Nab Rock had been marked by a lightship, and it was determined to substitute this with a set lighthouse. The new lighthouse was floated into place and the concrete raft (189ft lengthy, by 150ft extensive, by 80ft deep) flooded so the tower may sit on a shingle financial institution near the Nab Rock.
As will be seen from the photograph the tower took up a distinct angle (three levels from the vertical in direction of the Northeast) when it settled. The lighthouse was once manned by a crew of four, however in frequent with all Britain’s lighthouses it’s now unmanned and is absolutely automated.
Throughout WWII the Nab was armed with two 40mm Bofors Guns and was credited with taking pictures down 3½ enemy aircraft (the half was shared with a passing ship).
The tower still offers a welcoming sight to seafarers returning to the Solent at the tip of their voyage. In November 1999 the Nab was hit by a freighter, the Dole-America, carrying a cargo of bananas and pineapples. The ship was badly damaged and solely averted sinking by being run-aground. The base of the tower suffered only superficial harm.