Brand Historical past & Data On Stone Island
Right this moment the Stone Island brand is recognized worldwide as being on the cutting edge of menswear design; each by way of vogue and know-how.
Founder and Italian designer Massimo Osti first created “Chester Perry” — later to turn into C.P. Company — in 1974. Then in 1982, originally as an infusion assortment to C.P.Massimo formed the Stone Island brand we see as we speak as a spot the place he might categorical other influences; to produce a extra informal range than was simple to accommodate within the principle C.P. Model.
Massimo used his personal life experiences and the texture and look of each work put on and military clothing as inspiration for the brand designs. There can also be a robust nautical affect — not unsurprising provided that Massimo was a very personal person, having fun with time to himself; sharing time with nature, the sea and his beloved sailing yacht.
However what of the name Stone Island
There has always been much speculation, discussion and delusion surrounding the origins of the Stone Island name, what does it stand for, does it stand for anything In actual fact the identify itself additionally stems from his nautical influences.
Massimo wished a name that might specific the nautical adventure inspiration of the model and set about researching the works of Joseph Conrad amassing words and phrases evocative of the feeling he wished. He then combined and labored with these phrases, seeing what would match, what labored, what felt proper — from this process the name Stone Island was born and has grow to be synonymous with cutting edge design and garment expertise worldwide.
There may be little doubt that the origins of this iconic symbol are those self same nautical influences that led to the very identify Stone Island. Whilst the basic ethos of the badge has remained all through the brands history, sure details have, nonetheless, modified over time. The compass badge can be discovered on the left upper arm of Stone Island jackets and other long sleeve garments.
– The first compass badges had green outlining to them; someday across the yr 2000 the green edging was dropped.
– A so known as White Badge was launched for some limited edition items across the time of the millennium. The white badge continues to be found on restricted edition garments made at this time.
– Shadow by name and by nature, the badge for the Stone Island Shadow range is depicted in a very apt black on black.
One thing typically said of the iconic compass badge is that is seems to be army and practical in design. This isn’t solely true however almost certainly intentional provided that when creating a lot of the model model Massimo took as influences the useful resilient nature and look of conventional workwear and army clothes of the time.
Materials and garment research
Massimo Osti started life as a graphic designer, transferring into the designer clothes industry with the creation of what is now the C.P. Firm brand. All through he was all the time searching for to make use of his, on the stone island poli time, non conventional design skills to further the creation of his clothes; it is this unique mixture and determination to offer something new that created the brand and technologies we see at the moment.
Throughout his profession he’s credited with the invention of several key concepts and methods that revolutionized the Italian clothing industry. For example, four course of printing on fabric, garment dying, which you will discover nearly all Stone Island jumpers have been dyed, brushed wool and rubber wool are a couple of different methods used on knitwear.
Use of such progressive applied sciences has led to Stone Island being famend worldwide for its material analysis and meticulous dyeing processes in order that in the present day Stone Island is rightly famous for the creation of fabrics and processes unique to the brand — with materials equivalent to kevlar, metal and glass discovering their method into the jackets, trousers and other clothing bearing the well-known compass badge.
This unique melding between state-of-the-artwork supplies and a love for the fundamental useful kind supplied by army and working clothes has produced such classics as:
– The Ice Jacket, this isn’t a single merchandise but slightly a range of jackets and designs produced for the reason that late 80’s. The jackets get their title both from their insulation and wind resisting properties and from the unique thermosensitive liquid crystal coating utilized to them. This coating offers the jackets their chameleon like property of fixing color at low temperatures.
– Reflective Jacket, first seen in 1991 this excessive visibility jacket introduced one more distinctive material combining a waterproof fabric and glass microspheres. The glass microsphears enable the “Reflective” to pickup and reflect even the weakest gentle supply permitting it to be easily seen in virtually any circumstances imaginable.
– Metal Shell Jacket, available in a limited version White Badge model these jackets incorporate real steel into the outer fabric giving the completed end result a novel look that modifications as the light catches it from totally different angles.
The above are just some of the huge array of design concepts put into apply by the Stone Island brand.
So young yet so collectable
It’s the continued use of such unique technologies and fabrics that has lead to a so called “vintage” collectors marketplace for the model, regardless of its relatively short historical past.
The company At the moment
Right this moment the Stone Island model is owned, manufactured and distributed worldwide by Sportswear Company (SPW). SPW was formed from the original C.P. Company on account of corporate mergers and promote offs in the mid to late 80’s.